Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Sweet dreams, little one



The past couple of weeks have brought new sleep challenges for our little man. He's been pretty good about just falling asleep when he is tired, but that is certainly changing as he realizes how much fun he has when he's awake! At first it was just trouble at naptimes, and then recently it became a not-so-fun experience at bedtime too. Since becoming a mom, I firmly believe that good sleep is a huge factor in the "happy baby" equation. So, I busted out every book I've read on sleep training and talked to several professional mothers for a refresher on how to handle the "I'm not tired (but I really am)" baby. Our conclusion: A wonderful combination of what so many experts shared with us - and it seems to be working! I won't bore you with all the details, but we are working hard to establish a predictable nap and bedtime routine, which includes lots of cuddle time and a quiet atmosphere as we prepare him for bed. Now, instead of crying and desperately trying to escape from his prison (I mean, crib) when we lay him down, he will usually just fall asleep or lay in there talking for a while before drifting off. Sometimes he'll even whine a little, but I'll take that over crying any day. Added bonus: I am really enjoying the calm and peaceful time we are spending together as we prepare him for bed. It really makes for a much better evening all around. Here's to hoping this keeps up!


Random addition: Ezekiel enjoying his broccoli at dinner tonight

No comments: