So, here's the latest: The past 3 days have been not-so-fun in our house. Monday night, after a great day out (see below), Ezekiel came down with a fever. I am learning so much as a mom about illness and what is acceptable. Never before would I have thought that a 106 degree fever could be "normal." How did I learn this, you ask? After spending all night in the emergency room with my burning hot child only to find out that it wasn't an "emergency" after all. I'm sure smarter moms who have traveled this road before me already know this little tidbit of information. But, for us, it was terrifying and we could not figure out why we were not being ushered into an examining room to have our little guy evaluated immediately. Turns out that, since he is behaving "normally" (for a sick kid, that is), that the fever is not that much of a concern. Wow. It has been so hard watching him be so sick and not beinlg able to do much about it except offer Tylenol and lots of snuggle time. Kevan and I keep saying "we want our son back!". He is so whiny and clingy and over-reacting to everything - and that is SO unlike him. After 3 days of snuggling on the couch and very little sleep, I am REALLY hoping that tomorrow is a better day. I am almost afraid to go to bed, because I know I will be up soon anyway tending to my sick little guy. GO AWAY, YOU NASTY FEVER!
Ok, goodnight.
PS: Totally open to any mom advice on this one! Has anyone else experienced such a high fever, and what did your doctor tell you?
4 comments:
I loved all your updates and pictures. Your kids are so adorable!
With no mom experience at all, that seems like an incredibly high fever to me. Webmd says that a fever over 107 can be fatal (www.emedicinehealth.com/fever_in_children/article_em.htm), so I'm thinking I would have done exactly what you did! I think you made the right call, especially for peace of mind.
Thanks for sharing your doctor's advice. I'm taking notes for the hopefully-near future. :-)
I see kids frequently in the ER with high temps...106 is pretty high...but we usually give Tylenol, then Ibuprofen on top of that and make sure it comes down. One thing our Dr's always say is..."you determine how sick a kid is by how they are acting" I have heard this SO many times...if your kid is basically acting like a kid, he is probably ok. If he is lethargic and just laying around doing nothing, there is more to worry about, even if that kid only has a fever of 101. Just my 2 cents :-)
Hi Bethany. High temperatures are really scary for a mother, especially the first time it happens. Sounds to me like you are a terrific mother.
When Tracy was between 6 months and about 3 years old, whenever she got a fever it would spike to 104+. I would put her in a lukewarm bath and let the cold water continue to run. The cool water on her skin would help bring down the temperature. Keeping her skin exposed helped the heat “get out.” The worst thing you can do is keep them wrapped up, holding the body heat in. I had to remember that oral temperatures are really the most accurate and so her temperature wasn’t quite as high as I thought it was.
Love the pictures of your beautiful family.
(Mrs. By-yaars :D )
Post a Comment