Sunday, June 15, 2008

Super Dad


Kevan and his two babies at the park today

I was looking forward to today for a while, because I couldn't wait to honor Kevan for what an AWESOME dad he is. Even though I hope I tell him all the time, it is fun to have a special day set aside just to acknowledge how much we love and appreciate him. I thought long and hard about what to get him, and vacillated between something he really wants or something sentimental. I went the sentimental route, knowing that Kevan would love it, and I sure wasn't disappointed. So, let's have his response to his gift top the chart of things I love about my amazing husband (and what makes him such a fantastically great father):

1.) When he received a (what some men would consider) dopey t-shirt with a picture of his kids for Father's Day, he said "This is awesome...can I wear it to church?!" and acted like he couldn't have loved anything more (and I sort of believe him). Don't tell anyone, but he's sweet like that.

2.) Last weekend, after he'd worked in the yard all day and was dripping in sweat and mud, he came in to find his In-N-Out burger waiting for him and his son standing there holding a toy that needed new batteries. What did he do before showering, before getting a drink, and before taking a bite of that long-awaited burger? He went out to the garage, found a screwdriver and new batteries, and got that toy working again for his little guy. And he did it with excitement and love for Ezekiel. I'm telling you right now, I would have gone for the burger. He's a better person than I am.

3.) When he is home from work and our kids get up from their nap, he wants to be the one to go get them. And he sings special little songs to them to help them wake up (they each have their own).

4.) When Ezekiel was a baby, we used to fight over who got to pick him up from the nursery at church (now we each get one!). Kevan can hardly wait to go get them when the service let's out - and it's because they are so darn excited to see him!

5.) When he works graveyards and gets home at 6:30 a.m., he will check with me to see if I've had a hard night with the kids. If so, he'll offer to stay up and get them up while I get some extra sleep. I know, I am spoiled.
6.) There is nothing - and I really mean nothing - else that Kevan would rather do than be with his kids and his wife. Wow, that is so humbling and awesome and honoring. I love how much he genuinely loves to be with his family. Pastor Mike talked this morning about how men are called to "dwell" with their families - to spend time with them in the home and take the time to really know and understand their wives. This is such a strength for Kevan, and I really believe he honors the Lord with how he honors the family God has given him. We pray that this will remain true in our home, as it only can by God's grace in our lives.

7.) I love how Kevan is not just the father of my kids, but truly a partner in parenting. I don't have to ask him to cut up food, or change a diaper, or even to discipline when necessary. He just sees the need and does it. Not as a martyr, but because he wants to play an active role in the lives of our kids (ok, sometimes we ro-sham-bo over the diapers).

So, today was a perfect day celebrating the man my kids are lucky enough to call "da-da." We slept in late (Ezekiel slept until 10 a.m. due to a busy day at LegoLand yesterday!), had a beautiful service at church, went to a quiet and peaceful park for lunch, and then all came home and took a nap. The kids were in great moods and well rested and it was just a great day. I know it sounds too good to be true (and, trust me, these days are rare and beautiful!) but for some reason everything just fell into place perfectly today. And we enjoyed it so much. We ended the day with pizza and pies and family over at my parent's house. Ahhh... much to be thankful for.


Happy Father's Day to all the wonderful dads in our lives!
We could not get Ezekiel to part with that darn bottle (due to him just waking up), but it's still a cute picture anyway!
Lots of love (so cute how E wants to hold Bekah's hand all the time)

The kids also had to tell the world how great their dad is with their t-shirts


We love you Kevan!!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Wow, you're hubby is pretty awesome! You highlighted his strengths so perfectly. It brings me joy to know that you two have each other, and Ezekiel and Bekah have such tremendous parents.

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful blog! And I love the pictures. I have NEVER seen such a young baby smile as much as your Bekah Jane. It's so adorable how much Ezekial loves his sister, how much your hubby loves being a Daddy and you a Mommy..and how much you and Kevan are in love. I think your family is a true inspiration to to young married couples everywhere (and hope that true love and happiness does exist to all of us single gals out there:))
-Jeni

Anonymous said...

man that was special. i love reading these. i miss you guys and wish we could see you. i guess it won't be too long and by then, we'll add our girl to the mix and then it'll be one crazy big party.

rach b.