A few weeks ago, we were picking up our agent from his physical therapy appointment to go look at some houses in the area. As we pulled into the parking lot, Vic started waving Kevan down and gesturing to go park somewhere else. Without rolling down his window to ask questions, or even wondering out loud to me, Kevan backed out of the parking lot and found a spot across the street. There we sat while Vic stood in the parking lot and made no attempt to walk over to us. About a minute later, a fire truck came racing down the street and pulled into the parking lot - right where we had tried to park. It turned out Vic had just called 911 because a woman was having a heart attack, and he knew the paramedics would show up any minute.
I realized right then and there that I completely lack trust. I wanted to ask questions, I wanted to know why we couldn't park there. I wanted to know what the heck Vic was doing standing there instead of jumping in our car so we could go look at houses! But Kevan just did as he was told. He did not take control of the situation or stop to ask questions - he trusted that Vic had good reasons for doing what he was doing.
Oh, how this is a lesson I need to learn. From that day on I started to make a concerted effort to trust. Trust my husband (read: stop asking so many unnecessary questions!) but, more than that, trust the Lord. It sounds so simple, but it is so hard for me to do. I want to be in control.
Fast-forward a couple weeks. On Monday, we opened a little thing called ESCROW. And, yes, I am excited out of my skin. It feels SO GOOD to be in this place.
Just hours before we heard the good news, I had this really cool moment where I realized I felt complete trust. After months of doubt and questions, fear and anxiety, I finally surrendered. I relaxed in His arms, and gave up whatever control I never really had to begin with. I pictured the Lord picking out our neighborhood, knowing just the people whose lives we needed to influence, and who would pour into our lives as well. And I realized it is not about a house, it's about where God wants us. He already has that figured out - and He's using the journey to teach us a whole lot along the way.
We still have to get through escrow. And, in this market, escrow is not pretty. There are so many possible hiccups and hang-ups that could slow us down or blow us completely out of the water. So, some might say that it is too early to celebrate, because we are not in the door yet.
But here's what I've decided: I am not going to wait until I am putting dishes in the cupboards to recognize and rejoice in the miracle God has given us. He got us HERE! He aligned the minds of the decision makers and allowed our offer to get accepted! We made 24 offers. TWENTY-FOUR. It is a miracle to be going to our home inspection today!
The beautiful thing is, it is so amazingly easy to see that God is the one driving this deal. On the perfect house, with a simple offer (just what they were asking...we couldn't afford any more), we got our yes. Like it was the most natural, easiest thing in the world.
So I am rejoicing in the moment. We are here. We are in escrow. And it is a gift from God. I will praise Him now, and I will praise Him if He takes us down a different road. But I don't want to miss this moment, and I don't want to forget how it feels to be completely in awe of the way He works. Trust means you can rejoice...because you know, however things unfold, He is in complete control.
5 comments:
what an awesome reminder Bethany and I rejoice in your escrow!
I'm so excited and rejoicing with you Bethany. We feel the same way, when the right house opened up, everything fell into place and we didn't need to bend over backward or push things to make it work. God's timing is perfect and i'm learning to trust as well.
Miss you guys!!!
Love the "rising while it is yet night" Bethany!
I am so glad for the new development and hope that Gods will is for this home to be The Plumb Residence!
My prayers, thoughts and love have been heading your way ever since your mom mentioned this to me a few days ago. TRUST AND OBEY -- oh it sounds like a song to me!
Wow, fingers crossed for you! So exciting. And thanks for your transparency. I haven't been to your blog for a while, but WOW, the lesson in trust was one I really needed to hear right now! Blessings, JJ
Post a Comment