Sunday, September 26, 2010

Painting and Prayers.

First off, my camera is broken. Bummer. So, I am on the hunt for a new camera but - in the meantime - no new pictures for the blog. =(

This weekend I was busy painting Baby's room (Baby as in Bekah Jane, not the literal baby of our household). Pink, pink, pink. And she loves it. She keeps coming in saying things like "You paint my walls, mama? It's so pwetty!" And both Ezekiel and Bekah Jane have "helped" by getting paint on the floor, primer in the paint, etc...

As I painted, I daydreamed. And prayed. And thought a lot. I just couldn't help but think about adding another little girl to that big pink bedroom. Not because I want another girl, specifically. But because I am just plain ol' excited about adding to our family again. There, I said it. I am EXCITED. I know my baby is only 2 months old, I know I have 3 small children already. I know I have days where I am overwhelmed and unprepared and ill equipped. But I would have those days if I only had one child. That is just part of being a mother. But I am consumed by the thought that there is a child - or children - that are waiting to be a part of our family. There are children - millions of them - waiting to be a part of ANY family. How could I not think about this while I painted my little girl a darling pink bedroom? How could we not want to share this home, this love, with another child who knows neither home or love?

So I painted. And I prayed. For wisdom, and a pure heart. And strength for the journey we are about to embark on. And stamina when things get really tough; when pink rooms and loving arms may not be enough to soften the hardened heart of a hurting child.

Every night, when I tuck my kids in bed, sing Bekah Jane her "Butterfly song" and Ezekiel "God is so good", kiss their little faces and pray for them with their daddy, I inevitably think about the kids going to bed in far less pleasant conditions. Kids that sleep fitfully, without full bellies or the prospect of a peaceful night ahead. How can I ignore these promptings, these constant reminders that God is calling us to ACT?

The Bible is clear that we are to care for the orphans. I don't have to wonder if that is the right decision. He has written in His word and placed it on our hearts. But I don't want to move ahead of him; dive headlong into a raging river on a wave of emotion. So I am ramping up the prayers. Please, please Lord give us wisdom. We want to do your will, in YOUR timing. Show us when it's finally time to say "Yes!"....cuz I can hardly wait!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for being willing to pioneer this calling. Thank you for your transparent heart and sharing your deep convictions. It makes this road even easier to walk as others follow in your footsteps. We love and support you and lift you up in prayer.