Sunday, June 12, 2011

Good morning, Sunday

I love Sundays. LOVE them.

We get to worship God, freely, collectively. We get to encourage one another in the faith, in life, in the sitting next to, the dropping off of kids, the singing off-key and not caring, the leaning forward to absorb Pastor's every word.

I love the drive to church, all 7 minutes of it. Usually begins with a high-five and a congratulations that we made it to this point, 4 little bottoms buckled into 5-point harnesses, the payoff for preparation that began a full 12 hours earlier. Followed by some comment usually like, "I think this is the earliest we've ever been late!" Kevan squeezes my hand, turns up our "church music" and signals celebration...it's time for church! Regardless of how crazy the morning was, or how little sleep we got, now is when we refocus and prepare our hearts.

I love the kids in our service, sitting, wiggling, learning, worshiping.

I love watching Bruce, well over 60 but with the mind and social graces of a 6 year old, hands held high and praising Jesus. I love how he reaches for my hand when it's time to pray - even if I'm sitting behind or in front of him.

I love my kids' teachers, the way they delight in my children and are passionate about teaching them the Bible.

I love the rest, the opportunity to connect with friends and family, the intentional setting aside of have-to's and the focus on what nurtures our soul, fills us.

This morning I am up in the darkness, hoping that medication will work it's wonders soon and relieve this sore throat that is robbing me of sleep and sanity. An opportunity to reflect, to anticipate, to thank God for rest, and new beginnings, and mercies new every morning. Happy Sunday.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I really love reading you blog (I hope you don't get tired of me saying that)...you have the most amazing way of sharing your heart! We miss you guys and hope to reconnect one of these days :) In the meantime, we're praying for you and I am specifically asking God to lay His healing hand upon you! You bless me friend!