Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Are we crazy?!

Yeah, that's what Heidi and I were asking after packing up our 4 babies, driving to the beach, and attempting to camp for 2 days sans our husbands. Had I even stopped for a minute to think about this plan ahead of time, I might have realized the complete insanity behind it and opted out. But then we would have missed out on all the fun, too.

It was crazy. We spent 2 full days keeping 4 kids under 2 out of the ocean, out of the street, out of the fire pit, out of the neighbor's campsite... and we just about went out of our minds. Did I mention we slept in the back of our SUV's?! For some reason we thought it would be "easier" than setting up a tent for the night. Oh, how we regretted that decision as we desperately tried to make up "beds" for our little ones while it was pitch black and they were crying from exhaustion. And I regretted it even more around 3 a.m. when Ezekiel refused to sleep anywhere else but on my arm, on my tummy, across my legs... you get the idea.

But, oh how it was fun, too. We played in the sand, we went on bike rides, we walked to a delicious breakfast, we stayed up late and chatted by the campfire. And we made memories. The kind of hilarious, crazy, sweet memories that can only be made when you take a little risk. And Heidi and I will always remember our camping trip to Doheny with two newborns, two one year olds, too little sleep, and too many laughs to count!

Ezekiel checking out the sand when we first arrived


Kate and Ezekiel making their mark with sidewalk chalk


The big kids loved going for a ride!

Everett - what a hunk!


Bekah Jane enjoying being outside (and she obviously loves her cute new suit!)

Snuggling with my babies
Isn't this so funny? Ezekiel put his hand on my face all on his own. He is such a crack-up.
Checking out the waves together
Ezekiel loved having his own big boy chair
The survivors! Think we'll do it again next year?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved reading about our crazy camping adventure!
Love you,
Heidi

Carrie P said...

So funny listening to you talk about this adventure, bethany! yes, crazy...but you definitely made some memories! good to see you friday. love,carrie

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh i can't believe how big he is!!!! and bekah jane too! wow.
rach b.