
Today my little boy turns two years old. Ezekiel, much like two years ago, I can't sleep tonight. I'm too excited. Today we are celebrating you! And there is so much I want to tell you. On the day you were born I realized two things: Everything I had ever wanted in life was now laying in my arms - and I would never be the same. My heart no longer beat in my chest, but instead was wrapped up in a little white blanket with blue polka dots. And now it walks around on two little legs, experiencing life through big brown eyes and enchanting the world with a dimpled smile. Every baby is a miracle, Ezekiel, and every one of them arrives with their own story. But, to us, you have always been something extra special. A baby that comes after God brings a daddy home from war and after two other babies are loved and lost - now that is a baby you hold just a little bit tighter. And from the moment you arrived I thought that God saved his very best for us (just as every new mother does). If I didn't know it before, I now fully grasp the meaning of gratitude.
First birthday.
When I was pregnant, I prayed and prayed for a healthy baby and a safe delivery. When I held you for the first time I thanked God for answering my prayers - and then said out loud "And he's cute too!" I never imagined you would be so beautiful. Even still, I can't get enough of your golden hair, cherub cheeks, and that content little smile you get when you're looking out the window of the car or riding the ponies at the farmer's market. It's as if you already know that life is good, and you take in every moment. I love your happy spirit, your easy laugh, and the way you engage other kids assuming that everyone loves you as much as you love them. I love the way you yell "home!" when we pull into the driveway, as if you've been gone too long. And I love how you dote on your sister - kissing her head, helping me get her dressed, and pointing to the ground saying "baby down" when you want me to put her down so you can play with her. The Lord has given you a kind heart, son, and the sweetest of spirits and I pray that we are able to nurture that in you for His glory.
We are just beginning this journey, bear. Me as your mother and you as my son. You're making it pretty easy on me, but oh how I pray that I am equipped to train and guide you in the days and years to come. How I want you to use all of your wonderfulness to live a life that points people to Jesus. And how I pray for wisdom to teach you that.
I love you, bear. Happy Birthday!
9 comments:
awww....happy birthday ezekiel!!!! you are such a special boy and you have very special parents....you are blessed!
B, that was so beautiful. I'm so thankful for this little boy (and how is he already 2?!), and watching your journey as a mom... (sigh)... it's just plain exactly right! Give him a special squeeze for me today and know that I'm thinking of him and your family, and remember this day two years ago... one of the most exciting days EVER! I love you so much my friend!!!
Went to your blog knowing there're be a tribute to Ezekiel today...and it's beautiful. I'm remembering, too.
Nojoqui is all ready to celebrate with Ezekiel and his friends. He sure looks good! Hurry up and come on over.
Love you, Ezekiel, and Happy Birthday.
LOVE< Grandma
Bethany,
I will admit, your words touched me, they always do. I remember at my baby shower as I was holding Bryce, that you told me you were 13weeks pregnant. I was so excited to hear that blessed news. Then the praying began, hard. I wanted you to be able to hold a little love in your arms and you did (and did it again). My how this time has flown. What complete joy this little man has brought to your life and will continue to bring. God's timing is always right even if we may not agree. You are a wonderful mother and you have had a wonderful teacher (your Mom, Love you Aunt Cindy). Happy Birthday Ezekiel!!! We love you all!
What sweet words and a beautiful way to describe motherhood...couldn't have said it better. Hope you have a fabulous Birthday CELEBRATION! What fun days!
Jill from Tacoma, WA (Kristen's Friend)
You made me cry :) Your words are beautiful sister, the heartbeat of a beautiful mother in love with her son and in love with God. God has given you the strength and wisdom to raise your children in a way that honors Him and blesses your little ones, and He will continue to do so in the years to come.
I remember those first days so clearly, Betanya. Holding that precious miracle in my arms, memorizing his perfect features and the sight of my big sister with her heart in her arms imprinting forever in my mind.
He was perfect then, God's precious gift to you and Kevan. You guys have taken that perfect little gift and, with the Lord's help, are turning him into a man with a legacy of mercy, love, joy, and strength.
I love you, Ezekiel, with all my heart, but I know my love can't compare with your Mommy and Daddy's love. And even their love can't compare with the love of your Heavenly Father. I pray, Bear, that you will quickly come to love God because He first loved you.
Happy Birthday, Mi Osito!
Happy Birthday little buddy, your Aunt Hide loves you and thanks God for your arrival two years ago. You bring so much joy to my life, and to Kate and Everett little lives. You are such a good little friend, big brother, son, the list goes on... I pray that this next year brings you many new adventures (and reasons to get dirty) and I look forward to seeing you grow more into the sweet boy that you are.
Happy Birthday, Ezekiel!!! Thanks for giving us a reason to PARTY on Saturday :) I can't believe that it's been 2 years since you've joined our family... Baby Eagle, you are SOOOOOO loved (especially by your cousins!) I can't wait for you to come over on Mondays so that we can play :)
Love you,
Aunt Alice
Inspirational words from a deep heart. Thanks, Bethany.
On the lighter side, Bill Cosby once said, "Give me 200 two year olds and I can conquer the world!"
Post a Comment