So today we learned that we, in fact, are not going to be millionaires. It's true, we are going to have to work long and hard for our money - just like everyone else.
Here's the story: Kevan had this funny and wild experience recently that landed him in a recording of Deal or No Deal today. He was 1 of 33 people vying for 6 opportunities to play the game. And, while he did an outstanding job holding a briefcase for 9 hours, he was not one of the lucky lotto winners who got to make a deal. (But he will be on TV for 4 nights - since he held that briefcase for 4 different recordings! Hey, you don't get to choose your 30 seconds of fame!)
Anyway, as we anticipated the show I thought long and hard about what we would do with any amount of money he won. (Wouldn't you? Even when the odds are slim, it's still fun to think about!) $10,000 would pay off a car and help us buy a bigger one. $25,000 would help us adopt a baby like we've always dreamed of. Shoot, even a few hundred would fix up some overdue repairs around the house. I even thought "Could this be the way God will provide for us?" While He certainly could have chosen to, I think He had something much more valuable in mind. What I gained today was this: A new realization that NO amount of money would really "change our lives" - because the things that we are truly living for are not measured by dollars.
I found myself anticipating Kevan's phone call today - awaiting word on if he'd won anything. As exciting as that would be, it began to feel really insignificant as I reflected back on other phone calls I've received: word that Kevan was boarding a plane for America after 7 months in Iraq, news from our doctor that hormone levels were increasing and that the pregnancy was normal,
a message from my mom that the foreign exchange student we welcomed in our home had come to know the Lord... now THOSE were exciting calls. When you've receieved news like that, everything else pales in comparison. And you can't help but realize that God is already provding - everyday and in all kinds of amazing ways - and he doesn't need a handout from Howie to continue working miracles in our lives.
So, when Kevan finally called and told me "I had a great time!... but I can't quit my day job", it was without hesitation that I responded "So, when are you coming home?" Because, at the end of the day, that is all that matters.
3 comments:
What wonderful insight my friend.
Sorry this "iron" didn't pan out! I kept waiting for your phone call too :) I'm glad Kevan had a fun time... holding that box with such poise and grace :) Can't wait to see him on TV!!!
In all seriousness, you are right! We are so abundantly provided for by our gracious and loving Father! Yes, everyone can use just a little bit more money in their lives, but I am grateful that He gives us just our portion, as in Proverbs 30:8-9.
Love you all!
thanks for sharing....very good insight and such a great heart/attitude to have. very inspirational my friend!
Post a Comment