Sunday, May 03, 2009

More from Ezekiel...

A couple weeks ago we were at the park with our little friend Kate, who is the same age as my Ezekiel. A stranger talking to Kate asked her how old she is and I watched in amazement as Kate answered with all the confidence in the world "Two and a half. I will be three in June." Oh my, I thought, I have seriously dropped the ball in this department. I don't think Ezekiel can even say that he is two, and he certainly doesn't have a clue when his birthday is! So, like any good parent, I decided to teach Ezekiel quickly so that next time he could be the star student at the park!

On the way home, the quizzing began.

Me: Ezekiel, how old are you?
E: I see birds!
Me: No, Ezekiel, say "two!"
E: Two!
Me: Good, honey!! (See, I knew it was simply a matter of unbridling his potential!) And when is your birthday?
E: Dog! Dog! I see dog!
Me: Ezekiel, your birthday is in August. You are two and you will be three in August. Can you say that?

So, on this went back and forth until I finally felt he understood. Phew, crisis averted. My child is no longer on the fast track for unemployment.

Later that night, Ezekiel and I were having a tickle fest and I decided it was a great time to reinforce our lesson from earlier in the day.

Me: Ezekiel, I will stop tickling you when you tell me how old you are. How old are you?
Ezekiel (in between giggles, but with the same confidence he saw his friend Kate display): AUGUST!

Ok, maybe we should hold off on those college applications after all.

4 comments:

GCO DR Team 2015 said...

Ezekiel, you are so funny :) Don't worry, Bethany, girls are usually more interested in the birthday thing that boys. I know that Abby knew her "birthdate" before Seth... and he is almost 2 years older :) Maybe Rebekah will show her brother up too... LOL!

It was fun to have a quick "cousin moment" on Friday! We miss you guys...

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! Bethany, this post is hilarious and you write SO well. You really need to write a book of your Mommy Adventures :)
- Jeni

kerry said...

So glad to know I'm not alone! Joseph had his kindergarten assessment last week and I realized he didn't know his phone number. We spent all weekend working on it and Monday morning after his assessment he goes "MOM, they didn't even ask me my phone number!" Oh well - at least he knows it now :-)

Heidi said...

Thanks for the laugh. I know that you know this but... I want you to know how smart and wonderful Ezekiel is. Take advantage of this time when everything is still a mystery to him. I wish that Kate didn't quite catch on to as much as she does!