Because I love to know what other people are reading and recommending, I share with you my year-of-transformation book list (I am not including fictional books. While those are wonderful too, it's the life-changers that I want to recommend!):
Radical by David Platt
I hardly know where to begin with this one, other than to say: Read it!! If you want to be challenged to think beyond our consumer-driven society and pursuing the "American dream", get a hold of this book and buckle up for a thought-provoking and convicting look at what Jesus means when he calls us to follow Him and make disciples of all the nations. What does it really mean to deny myself, take up my cross, and follow Him? (And, no, he is not advocating that everyone move out of the country and become missionaries in a foreign land!). I read this book last October and God used it as the catalyst to a major turning point in my spiritual walk. Of course, that may have nothing to do with the book and everything to do with how amazing God is...but I still think it's a great read for every believer!
Wrestling With an Angel by Greg Lucas
This is a short book, written by a father about raising his severely handicapped son. While it is tender and inspiring, it is also a beautiful illustration of God's grace in our own lives. How, in our broken and disabled state, Christ loved us enough to lay down His life for us and sacrifice everything to make us whole again. I actually just re-read this one, because -- in ways that certainly aren't obvious -- the story parallels some of our experiences with little C. Not the physical challenges, but some of the heart issues this father faces and comes to terms with. And certainly in the way that God uses this boy to draw his parents' hearts to Jesus.
Adopted for Life by Russell Moore
Not just for those "called to adopt", this book beautifully describes how adoption is an amazing, earthly representation of God rescuing us from our former life, adopting us into His family, and giving us a new identity in Him. (Plus, great practical ways you can "care for the orphans" whether you're bringing them into your home or not!). I may be biased, but I think this also is a must-read for every believer.
Without a Word by Jill Kelly
The autobiography of Jill Kelly, wife of NFL Hall of Famer Jim Kelly. Oddly enough, this is another story of how God used a severely handicapped son to completely transform the hearts of a family. I don't know why the Lord led me to two books with such similar themes, but they both are amazing...and not just for the inspirational story. In fact, that is absolutely secondary to the overriding theme of the gospel weaved into both of these books. It is heart-warming, tear-jerking, convicting, inspiring...and somehow not even about this family at all. It all comes back to the sovereignty of our Lord, and the overflowing grace and mercy He lavished on us while we were yet sinners.
The Rest of God by Mark Buchanan
Truth be told, I didn't read this book for the first time this year. Probably for the 3rd or 4th time. But it still counts. Ahhhh....I love this book. I always say after reading it, "If I could just live THIS out, everything else in life would just fall into place." Not because life would get easier -- not at all --- but because I would be following God's design for abundant living in Him. This book UNPACKS the idea of Sabbath rest -- not just on Sunday (while that's certainly a part of it), but as an ongoing way of life. I love how Buchanan writes...it's restful just reading his stuff, before you even apply it!
One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp
I am slowly working by way through this book - about 3/4 of the way through it (and got distracted by the next book I am going to highlight!), but I already know it's on my short list of "best of's". Basically, it's about developing a heart of gratitude. And allowing your gratitude to overflow into a heart of worship throughout your day, in every circumstance. It's discovering how we can be content with much or with little, and how to give thanks regardless of the joy or trials in our life. Completely based on scripture, and written from the heart of a stay-at-home mom with like 7 kids living out on the farm! Love the perspective she offers!
Give Them Grace by Elyse Fitzpatrick and Jessica Thompson (mother and daughter)
I have one chapter left in this book, and I cannot stop talking about it. It is my new all-time favorite parenting book (I also love "Don't Make Me Count to Three" by Ginger Plowman on heart-oriented discipline). Such an amazing outline of how to infuse the gospel into our parenting. How to show our kids their need for a Savior and to use every day interactions to point them to Jesus. Duh....this is what we want! But sometimes it is so hard! These gals are practical, real, and all about the gospel. This is not a "how to raise perfect kids" book (which focuses on the externals, really just a desire to glorify ourselves rather than God)...this is about faithfully parenting our kids in a way that shows them their sin, God's boundless love that conquered that sin....and then trusting that salvation is of the Lord!
So...what are you reading? Anything great that you can recommend? I'd love to hear your thoughts!
2 comments:
Great List!
Thank you for sharing...I've been looking for some new books to read :)
Post a Comment