Monday, July 21, 2008

Poor Mr.Conehead

Dear Ezekiel: For your birthday, we were going to get you an awesome party with a pony and everything, but instead we decided to save your dog's life. Love, Mom and Dad.


It's true, poor little Elway had a very tough weekend. After discovering a terrifically nasty sore below his ear on Saturday night, we were pretty worried about him but knew the vet was closed until Monday. But, when we came home from church on Sunday and saw that it had spread and gotten nastier (I'll spare you the details) we knew we had take him the doggy emergency room. And good thing we did! It turns out he has a staph infection, which can apparently rapidly spread and become fatal. And because the sores were on his head, the vet said it could have gotten "in his system" and killed him pretty quickly if left untreated. Thankfully, the treatment was affordable and we could help him. I know it's kind of a controversial thing... how much do you spend on medical bills for a pet? Before we had kids, we probably would have said a whole lot more than what we said yesterday. We love Elway, but our kids and family come first. We figured if we could pay for it pretty easily, then we would do whatever we could to save him. So glad that was the case!


But... it is also true that we are shifting money from Ezekiel's upcoming birthday to cover "Operation Save Your Dog". Sorry, son. No more party with a rent-a-pony. We got you a dog instead. Yeah, it's the same dog you always had, just, uh... repackaged.


(Don't worry, Ezekiel never even knew about the pony party and, let's be honest, Kevan is waaaay more disappointed about it than Ezekiel ever would be!).


Seriously, Ezekiel loves that dog. He couldn't even stop asking about him while Elway was at the vet's. Now we just have to keep our son and Mr. Conehead from playing together for 5 days... no small task. Ezekiel thinks Elway's new "hat" is awesome.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe you could make Ezekiel a matching hat :-)

Anonymous said...

I loved this post. YOU MAKE ME LAUGH! What a great way to start my day! So great to chat with you this morning... LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

For the last week I have faithfully checked your blog daily looking for a summary of your trip to Washington. I know you said you wanted to tell me about it in person, but I was hoping to cheat a little. Anyway, anticipating a post about Jen and Kristen and happy times together made this unexpected post so much funnier! I am so glad that you saved Elway's life!!!!!!! Poor Mr. Conehead is right! But about Ezekiel's b-day party. . . did you forget that your parents own THREE horses?!?!?! I'm sure you can make a pretty good party out of that, if you got desperate! CAn't wait to see you, Kev, Ezekiel, Rebekah Jane, and Mr Conehead in T-9 days!!!! Love you!

Jen Epperson said...

Poor Elway! I am glad he is ok!
Don't worry, Caden will still be coming to Ezekiel's party, pony or no pony!
Jon and I have tried to have the conversation "how much do you spend on a pet" when we had to take Roxy to the vet emergency hospital. Let's just say we called Roxy "our little Plasma" for a good month or two after we paid her bill. Those darn dogs...why do we have to love them so much.

GCO DR Team 2015 said...

Awww... my goodness! Such drama in your household!!! I'm glad that you were able to save Elway. I know that my kids would have been sad too if he had to go!

Maybe we can ride Elway instead of a pony at Ezekiel's party?!? LOL

I'm sneaking in a last post too before Lake Almanor :)

Elizabeth B said...

Ahh, poor Elway! I think that if Ezekiel could understand the choice you made he would have made the same choice!

And, in spite of Elway's pain, I had to laugh because your post was so darn funny! :-)

Liz

Stephanie said...

glad elway is okay! i'm sure ezekiel will be grateful for your choice, once he's old enough to understand :)