1.) Kevan left for an earlier-than-normal shift for work, and I got up to make him breakfast and pack his lunch (ha ha ha...no! But I did manage to give him a kiss goodbye!)
2.) Today is my glucose test at 9 a.m. and I can't eat for 4 hours before that. So a snack at 4 a.m. seemed like the perfect plan. Is that bad?!? I am so pregnant.
So here is the random stuff floating through my head in the wee small hours:
- Every Wednesday night Ezekiel has Awana (a Bible Club for kids) at our church. It is a wonderful program and he loves it. But, I am not kidding, EVERY Wednesday night in the past 2 months something seems to come up that either keeps us from going or makes us late. People unexpectedly drop by the house (the past two weeks), a friend has a need (probably 3 of the weeks), or we are traveling out of town. It sort of makes me re-think my 3-year-old's weekly commitments. =) There is something to be said about just being available, because sometimes it's the best of life that happens in those last-minute interruptions!
- But....one of the side-benefits of Awana is that it gives me one-on-one time with Baby girl. (Kevan is gone helping out with the youth group at church.) Last night we had so much fun, just me and her. I just went along with whatever she wanted to do, and this is what our night looked like: We colored, and when she was done she held up her picture and said "TA-DA!!". Then we practiced her letters and colors on her Elmo laptop (not making great progress here, by the way. There is a distinct possibility my daughter is color blind.) Then we lined up a bunch of her animals and read them stories. Next, she brushed my hair and put a bow in it. Then she dragged me by the hand to look in the mirror and we sat admiring ourselves for a while (she kept telling me I looked pretty...love that girl). Of course, that led us to play dress up and she put a crown on my head (she was disappointed her princess shoes didn't fit me). Naturally, that led to dancing and twirling until we fell over. We ended the night with a talent show (Bekah won hands down with her amazingly energetic singing/dancing combo that went on for at least 10 minutes). That girl cracks me up! She is so full of life and personality...and she is SO GIRLY! I really cannot believe the difference between her and her brother! (When I play one-on-one with E, we usually race scooters, jump on the bed, and play chase around the house...all pretty funny with my big ol' belly!). Loved hanging with my girl last night.
- Back to my comment about people dropping by unexpectedly...This happens ALL THE TIME. I don't remember this from our Southgate days. Is it because we live so close to church? Is it because we have great neighbors? Is it because I tell people more often 'Just come on over any time!' and they actually take me up on it? Whatever the reason, it is WONDERFUL and I am so glad! But I will tell you what is NOT the reason: It is not because my house is always clean, or that my kids are always dressed (in fact, they are almost always NOT dressed, in spite of my diligence in clothing them every morning), or that I am all dolled up and ready to entertain (I have a recent compulsion with putting on my "comfies" as soon as I walk in the door). It is not because the candles are lit and the cookies are coming out of the oven...although you are likely to find a pot of coffee brewing. And it is definitely not because the floors are freshly mopped and the bathrooms are sparkly clean, because we did that yesterday and then 2 toddlers destroyed any evidence. Oh, how I want to be hospitable and to have others feel welcome in my home. And I'm sure the day will come when that includes a lovely presentation and fine dining. But today is probably not that day...and I am learning that true hospitality means being ok with the imperfections. It is truly comical to me how hard I work to keep up on my house, and how rarely I feel like it shows. So, I have decided that this is the Lord's way of keeping me humble and reminding me that this is HIS house to begin with! We bought it in a flood of gratitude for His provision, and we are committed to sharing it however he sees fit. And if that means welcoming friends in our jammies, then come on in!
Ok, posts to come: Doheny days, reason number 21 why I love my hubby (it's a good one!), and the story of our adoption journey (so far!). Stay tuned!
1 comment:
Hi! I am a friend of the Herks, and Julee will often send me a post from your blog if it relates to mt family or just me. Anyway, I am always blessed, and usually shed a tear over your sweetness, or some poignant thing you have said. Anyway, my name is Catherine, and Julee talks about you whenever we see her. My husband is a Deputy in Santa Cruz, so obviously we have a lot to relate about. We have 2 girls and we have just started the adoption process. Amazing! Thank you for your sweet words, and for sharing. You are doing a wonderful job at being a mother, a wife, and being REAL. I just started a blog, so now I'm officially subscribed to yours, so I can get my own updates! God Bless you and your precious family.
Post a Comment