Today we gave a stranger Elijah's shoes. But let me back up.
It started with A Hole in the Gospel. That was 3 years ago, but was quickly followed by Radical, then Not a Fan (which was given to me by a perfect stranger on an airplane, after he caught me not-so-subtly reading over his shoulder). Next came The Missional Mom and, now, 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess. With a smattering of great books on adoption in there too.
All of these books reach into the deepest places of my heart, address the parts of my life that feel off-balance, and force me to face head-on the uncomfortable discrepancy between saying I'm a Christian and truly living as a follower of Jesus. I gobbled up every word, marked them up with highlighters and question marks, nodded along in agreement as I read, talked to my friends about them (ad nauseam), and prayed for God to change me from the inside out.
Then the prayers turned to pleading. I felt paralyzed. Overwhelmed with the need to act but clueless about where to begin. The other night I literally felt like I prayed in my sleep (that's the Holy Spirit for you, huh?). And God, in His faithfulness, began to prompt me. In such a powerful way that I could not ignore it.
So, this morning, as I was sitting on my couch reading 7 while my kids ate breakfast, I knew what needed to be done. As much as I love that book, I nearly threw it across the room. ENOUGH reading. I've read it all before. Hello...I've read it in the Bible for decades. This is nothing new, just the same point God has been hammering home since the beginning of time: This life, if you are a follower of Christ, is not about you. It is one gigantic opportunity to take up your cross (read: die to yourself, because we are not that great to begin with and what we get in exchange is ridiculously better), allow the Holy Spirit to be alive and active and at work in us, and live with gratitude and joy as a bond servant to Jesus. ENOUGH reading. Time to start doing.
So right then and there I made a decision to make today different. I didn't have a clue what I was doing, or where I was going, but I packed up the kids in the car with this one thought: If we want to reach the world for Christ, let's start by getting out of our nice, air-conditioned house.
My first sign that there would be resistance came from my 5 year old: "But, mom, I wanted to do something fuuuun today." Oh boy. Sweet child of mine, get out of my way and get in the car. This mama was on a mission and nothing--not crying, nor whining, nor breakfast dishes, nor lost shoes--would keep me from carrying it out. (I wasn't sure what it was, but come hell or high water we were going to find out.)
There are a lot of things that keep me from acting. My kids take slot numero uno. Why? Because doing things with them is hard! This is legitimate. But today, today I had clarity. Today I knew that we could do whatever God called us to together, and that they would learn right along with me. Lesson #1: Sometimes we get in the car for reasons other than self-gratification (Sub-lesson: "Fun" does not have to happen at Pretend City, it can take also take the form of offering bananas to hungry day laborers...more on that later.)
So we prayed. We asked God to match our resources with people who had need. We asked Him to lead us, to show us where to go and who to talk to. I passed by the first 2 men we saw who looked like they might need something. But they were super scary and, um, God told me to keep driving. Next: Two teenagers making out on the corner. Hmmmm....nope, probably not a good stop either with babies in the car.
After a series of random decisions I ended up in a not-so-bad area of my 'hood, wondering why in the world I was here and, oops, aren't I supposed to be finding people with need? Probably not going to happen here in the land of plenty. Then we saw them. A group of men that I've passed a million times before. Day laborers hoping to get picked up for some work. Think what you want about immigration and taxes and all that, but here's what I saw: Men trying to work to feed themselves, their families. Honestly, I almost kept driving, but I'd already prepped the kids to be on the lookout for people with a need, and Ezekiel kept shouting "There they are, mom! Stop for those guys! Those guys!"
So we stopped. And we asked some questions. And, dang, I need to brush up on my Spanish. But when I asked if they needed food or clothes for their kids, they said "Yes, all!" (That is what "Si, todo!" means, right?!).
And 20 minutes later we were back with bags full of overflow from our own pantry and closets. They took everything. We exchanged smiles, and blessings, and they were eating bananas when I left. And I hope that, somehow, Jesus is glorified in that.
We will do this again. Get out in our community and meet people, meet needs. Without any other agenda. Share Jesus in words and actions. This is not radical. This is how Jesus lived, and how many people -- who are far ahead of me in understanding the implications of the gospel -- live. It is my hope and prayer that this will one day feel less blog-worthy, and more normal-life.
In the meantime, may we continue to "stir up one another to love and good works." (Hebrews 10:24).
Are you with me?
11 comments:
LOVE this. LOVE. I am totally encouraged.
I love it. I love you. You made me cry. Your children are blessed to have you leading them. Preach it, girl!
I am amazed how God put people in our lives at exactly the right moment. I am humbled by your post. I have literally just finished my devotions (on humility) when I saw you blog entry. What an incredible way to read scripture and be given a applicable way to carry it out. Not to mention this past week I have been getting up early to spend time in the word because of the encouragement in one of your other posts! Thank you Bethany for allowing God to use you to be my teacher today. I love you!
Sweetie you are wise beyond your years and God can and will use that as you surrender to Him. You are being a great example of Servant Leader to your children (and to your blog readers). Thanks for being YOU and for allowing our Heavenly Father to use you and the Holy Spirit to lead you and Jesus to shine through you.
I have shared your blog with others who I think will be blessed and encouraged by your words.
Big HUGS......
Interesting coincidence that pricked my heart. Driving around town saw a sign that read "Need Prayer? Turn here." There on the street corner was an easy up staffed with about 4 people and... looked like there was a line up of people waiting for prayer. The numbers waiting is what tugged at my heart. Now what to do with it.
Interesting coincidence that pricked my heart. Driving around town saw a sign that read "Need Prayer? Turn here." There on the street corner was an easy up staffed with about 4 people and... looked like there was a line up of people waiting for prayer. The numbers waiting is what tugged at my heart. Now what to do with it.
Absolutely!!! Praise Jesus!!!
Thanks for the comments, guys. Kerry, isn't it amazing how God allows us to participate in the sanctification of one another? I love that we can share how God is working in our lives and, by doing so, encourage others in their own walk. Really appreciate the encouragement from all of you. I might just keep writing what God puts on my heart. =) And thanks for sharing the blog, Aunt Cousin Julee!
Love it Bethany! AMEN! I am so with you in spirit sister; but the reality for me is much less admirable. Thank you for sharing your journey on this path. Love you.
Hey Bethany its Jennifer from Urban Hope. Rebekah shared this blog post with me and it was truly amazing. Its completely encouraging seeing that you, a mother of four young ones and a wife dropped everything to do what God was calling you to do. The cool thing is that you took the kids along with you, you didn't separate your mission from your "daily life." You put Jesus in the center of your life and your children were able to witness how important it is to serve. I'm going off to college next month and I've been struggling with the whole idea of service while in college. Sometimes I wonder if I will be able to handle everything, or I try to compartmentalize my life thinking that Sunday is the one day for service, but as you modeled, living for Jesus is a daily thing and I should include everyone who is in my life where ever I'm at.
I'll be looking out for future posts! P.S. You should definitely look into writing a book. I would buy it!
There is both a wonderful and convicting stage in one's life...when your children begin to speak truth into your own life...whether they are preschoolers...or thirty-somethings. Thank you, Bethany.
Post a Comment