I love Elijah's hand in this picture. And his feet. And his lips...
You know how parents of older children will often tell us younger mamas "It goes by so fast..."? Well, I just want to say in reply "I believe you!" And I am trying my darndest to heed your advice and soak up as much of these "little years" as possible. I get that even though this season of life is hard, it is fleeting. And in a blink of an eye their chubby little feet will be wearing man-sized cleats and unprompted kisses on the lips will be replaced with a side hug. I get it. So will someone please tell Elijah to just stay little forever? How, oh how, is he turning 2 tomorrow?!
Elijah, your 2nd year of life probably took a good decade off mine. You have stopped my heart more times than any other child of mine. Sometimes in good ways: When you're so cute that it literally hurts my heart to watch you...I am just so in love. And, sometimes, in not-so-good ways: Like when you nearly burnt the house down by putting your sister's Care Bear in the oven, or when you decided to escape from Grandma's backyard and go on your own little adventure without notifying your mother...those moments just straight up scared me to death.
God was so merciful to us by keeping you stationary for your first 16 months. Once you started walking, my son, it was game over. You quickly figured out your two favorite speeds - running and jumping - and you've pretty much never looked back.
Yes, you keep me on my toes. Yes, you are my busiest boy. My most mischievous, most strong-willed, most stubborn. But, oh man, that twinkle in your eye, that laugh, that contagiously cute way you frantically wave and say "Hi!" at the most random times....I am a completely and utterly head over heals for you. And I can tell you this now, because you're only two and can't actually read, that I basically think everything you do is adorable...and it takes everything in me not to laugh at your naughtiness.
I absolutely can't wait to see the man you will become, my Elijah. The passion you have for life, your determination to overcome challenges (like climbing the ladder at the playground even when your little legs are shaking), your strong temperament...all of these will be wonderful qualities in a man seeking to serve Jesus with his whole heart and life.
You, so far, remind me the most of your dad. (He disagrees because he says he was an angelic child.) But I already see your great sense of humor, and I think you may share his strong sense of justice and full-throttle approach to goals you set. You have a super sweet side, too, just like your daddy. And if your devotion to your beloved "puppy" is any indication of your future devotion to your wife...well, you are definitely on the right track to following your dad's example and excelling as a husband!
You are a delight and a joy to us every day, Elijah. I love taking you outside before bed to say goodnight to the moon ("Night moon"...I could listen to you say that a million times over, with your chubby little finger pointing up at the sky, and your lips forming a perfect little "O" with every "moon"). I love hearing you whisper, and sing, and watching you practice your long jump. You never stop, and I never stop marveling at how amazing you are.
You are my baby, and it's no secret that sometimes babies get babied. May God give me the strength to help you grow into the man He wants you to be...and to let you fly (or jump) when the time comes.
Happy 2nd birthday, our beautiful boy! We love you!
6 comments:
Awwww...what a beautiful letter! Happy Birthday to your baby boy! :)
Love this so much!!!!!!!!
this.is.so.sweet.
i cannot believe how much love our hearts can hold.
Made me laugh, made me cry... beautiful words for your beautiful boy. Love you both to pieces.
In addition to "moon" add his "WOW"...in pure utter amazement, eyes wide open and sparkling. I'd do just about anything to keep that WOW coming.
i just cried. thanks a lot. grrrrrr jk. i feel the same way about levi. it's crazy amazing. :-)
-rach b
Post a Comment